Thursday, February 5, 2015

The Birthday Boys' Brews


The New Year is here and we have a few birthdays to celebrate: Juice and El Guapo, AKA Cathan and Fernando, are another year older which means another year wiser. In their old age, their palates have developed to a new level, requiring us to show off their new favorites. Since they are as dedicated to beer drinking as anyone, being stalwart members of the Hi-Time Beer Department, we decided to divide their picks into their breakfast, lunch and dinner beers that they plan on enjoying on their birthdays. 

-Cathan Cokas ("Juice"); Cathan runs the Hi-Time Beer Twitter Feed (here).
-Fernando Ruvalcaba ("El Guapo")


El Guapo’s Birthday Picks

Morning Beer
Stiegl Radler 12oz 6-pack $11.47 [472611] Link

They say that grapefruits are the breakfast of champions, well grapefruit radler is mine! With only 2.7 ABV, this is perfect way to keep going on the drinking marathon I'm having going on my birthday.
 “The Stiegl-Radler Grapefruit is a mix of Stiegl-Goldbräu and fruit juice that is invariably natural and has no artificial sweeteners added to it. The grapefruit juice lends this a naturally cloudy appearance and a tangy fruit flavor, creating a succulent and fruity taste sensation with a refreshing finish.”  -Stiegl Brewery Description


Lunch Beer

Ska Brewing Rudie Session IPA 12oz 6-pack $10.47 [474644]
Some say drinking a radler is too sissy. So keeping with the marathon, I wanted a beer with a little more attitude, “Lip Up Fatty!”  If “The Specials” like Rudie, then I must drink like Rudie! This session IPA had me skanking out! Ah-Ah-ah...

Rudie begins with a big fruity hop aroma of pears and watermelon candy, but is relatively low in actual bitterness. Pairs great with breakfast, summer, sunny days, rainy days, winter, on the river, on the trail. Drink it any day, any time.” - Ska Brewery Description



Dinner Beer
Anderson Valley Highway 128 Series Blood Orange Gose 
12oz 6-pack $9.97 [474240]

Since I don’t have my funnel and tubing, I wanted a beer with a bit more of a complex taste. I want my blood to be orange-- blood orange, that is. With the right amount of salt, this Gose is just what I needed to soak up all the water that the alcohol didn’t replace yet.

Our Blood Orange Gose is a tart, refreshing wheat ale that is kettle-soured with lactobacillus and brewed with sea salt and coriander. However, unlike traditional versions of the style, ours features liberal additions of blood oranges during fermentation. This imparts tangy citrus notes that complement the champagne-like flavors, creating a complex and sessionable ale perfect for any occasion.” -Anderson Valley Brewing Description



Juice’s Birthday Picks

Breakfast Beer

Lagunitas Day Time Session IPA 12oz 6-pack $10.47 [471488]

For breakfast, I wanted to start off with a light beer but being the picky guy I am, I couldn’t live with myself if I was to drink one of those mainstream beers every store will have. I am a big IPA guy but to start off the morning with the high alcohol and bitterness might be too much... even to jumpstart my birthday. I decided on a cousin of one my favorite IPAs , the Session IPA, and Day Time by Lagunitas is one of the best.
Sometimes you want a beer, then you realize how much crap you need to do before you call it a day. This is it. Nicely dosed with Big, Round Hop Flavors and a Toasty Malt Foundation to satisfy your every need. But it still lets you stay in the game to do what needs to be done. Yup.” -Lagunitas Brewery Description


Lunch Beer

El Segundo Two 5 Left Double IPA 22oz $8.47 [473647]
Since the Session IPA I started my day on, I decided to put my big boy pants on and skip over the regular IPAs and jump up to the Double IPA coming from El Segundo Brewery. Filled with Simcoe, Citra, Cascade and Chinook hops, this beer is one of the premier craft brand IPAs out there.  

A brazenly hop-forward beast of a beer, with a huge passionfruit nose. A subtle caramel character provides a malt backbone to shoulder the massive amount of dry-hopping that gives this beer its unique aroma and hop flavor. Two 5 Left is the runway that sends planes screaming right over El Segundo. We always knew we would name a beer after this local landmark, and when it came to naming our first Double IPA.. it fit the bill perfectly. -El Segundo Brewing Description



Dinner Beer 
Boulder Brewery Shake Chocolate Porter 12oz 6-pack $9.97 [486598] Link

After my mid-day siesta from delicious IPA drinking, my sweet tooth arrived in full force and I was craving something silky smooth and full of chocolately goodness. I glanced around and realized Shake Chocolate Porter from Boulder was calling my name loud and clear. I sat down, popped open this delectable 12oz, and took down about half my birthday cake along with the other lonely beers in this 6-pack and reminisced over the last year. I’ve tasted so many great beers over this year, so many more to go.

Our twist on the traditional robust American Porter, Shake Chocolate Porter is dark black in color with rich, sweet aromatics and flavors of dark chocolate, coffee and caramel. This unique brew blends five different grains, including Chocolate Wheat, that along with cacao nibs create a devilishly delicious chocolate finish with a velvety mouthfeel.” -Boulder Brewing Description

No comments:

Post a Comment